Historic 1817 Castlewood was built ca. 1817-1819 by Parke Poindexter. Poindexter was the Clerk of the Court at Chesterfield County from 1812 until 1847, almost 35 years. The original landowner was Henry Winfree, who received the property as a land grant in 1754. County Clerk Mr. Poindexter purchased the 180-acre tract in 1816 and began his efforts to construct a new home. One of the three or four finest Federal period houses in the county, Castlewood features a formal five-part plan differing from any other recorded Virginia dwelling. The house most closely alike to Castlewood is “Carrsbrook”, ca. 1794-1812 in Albemarle County. Following Mr. Poindexter’s death, Castlewood passed through several owners until the Trinity Methodist Church acquired the house in 1860. For twelve years, the house would serve as a parsonage for traveling ministers. Between 1872 and 1957, the property belonged to several different owners. The Gilmers purchased it in 1957 and restored it to its 1820 condition. In 1976 the Heritage Savings and Loan bank operated here and in 1980, Chesterfield County purchased the property.
BUT, IS IT HAUNTED?
R.T.L PARANORMAL has investigated this location twice and also had two public investigation events there and captured some pretty amazing data. Many guests who participated in the public paranormal events have witnessed (and experienced) firsthand some of that data!